Reef and Fishery Assessment of Navassa Island National Wildlife Refuge

On April 23, 2009 scientists from the NOAA's Southeast Fisheries Science Center in Miami Florida (SEFSC) departed from San Juan, Puerto Rico aboard the NOAA Ship Nancy Foster. Their destination: the Navassa National Wildlife Refuge. Along with the NOAA scientists are researchers from the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (UM/RSMAS), the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), and the Director of the Fondation pour la Protection de la Biodiversité Marine (FoProBiM), an NGO based in Haiti.
This work is funded by the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program.


Friday, May 1, 2009

First Turtle Sighting!


Yesterday I started our Elkhorn snorkel mapping and happened on ALOT of healthy Elkhorn Coral! I will blog about that more later, but the more exciting thing is that I saw the first turtle that has been seen on this trip. It was a small Hawksbill turtle swimming along the wall. He was rather startled and I was caught off guard since I was in Elkhorn search mode, but I was able to snap a quick picture of him (Click to see it better). We should have seen more by now so hopefully this is only the first of many turtle observations. I see them pretty frequently in Florida, but no matter how often I see them I get excited! Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment