Reef and Fishery Assessment of Navassa Island National Wildlife Refuge

On April 23, 2009 scientists from the NOAA's Southeast Fisheries Science Center in Miami Florida (SEFSC) departed from San Juan, Puerto Rico aboard the NOAA Ship Nancy Foster. Their destination: the Navassa National Wildlife Refuge. Along with the NOAA scientists are researchers from the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (UM/RSMAS), the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), and the Director of the Fondation pour la Protection de la Biodiversité Marine (FoProBiM), an NGO based in Haiti.
This work is funded by the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program.


Sunday, April 26, 2009

Working hard or hardly working?


This is my first visit to Navassa, and I am quite excited to see the island. We are about 5 hours out and we can already see the Haitian coastline from the ship. This is also my first research cruise. I was invited to participate because I speak Haitian Creole, I can count fish, and I am a certified Nitrox diver. I imagine that this is a rare skill set that will only come in handy a few times in my life. I am very grateful to have been invited to participate on such an exciting cruise.

Before we arrive at Navassa, I need to finish rewriting my qualifying exams! I have attached the photo here so that my advisor can see how hard I am working.
-- Mandy Karnauskas

No comments:

Post a Comment